Based in Toronto, Canada
15 Dec, 2018
BELOW is an action-adventure roguelike from Toronto-based indie developer Capybara Games, which presents a vast underworld of ever-shifting labyrinths where deadly monstrosities, cunning traps, and a shadowy presence lurk in every passage.
Originally revealed at E3 2013, BELOW's brooding atmosphere instantly captured attention. Inspired by classic "rogue" games in the vein of Nethack, BELOW presents players with a mysterious world, and invites them to explore, survive, and discover an ever-shifting underworld, with a minimum of guidance or interference. After a long development process, BELOW was finally released on Xbox One and PC in late 2018.EXPLORE mode
After launch, Capy listened carefully to feedback from players and critics, and would eventually release the EXPLORE update in 2020, alongside the long-awaited PS4 version of the game. This update added a new game mode with design and balance changes to make the game more accessible for players who are not interested in the harsh experience offered by the game's original mode, preserved for hardcore fans as SURVIVE mode.
- A unique and compelling take on the survival and rogue genres
- Randomized layouts to keep players on their toes as they delve.
- Audio design and Award-winning soundtrack by Jim Guthrie.
- SURVIVE MODE: Well-suited for the most hardcore players; hunger, thirst, deadly traps, devious denizens - and more mysterious forces - threaten to end the wanderer's journey.
- EXPLORE MODE: Tuned to preserve the mystery and danger of the adventure, while offering a more accessible experience aimed at all players.
Explore Mode Trailer YouTube
2018 Launch Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Golden Joysticks 2019" Nominee, Xbox Game of the Year
- "Game Developer's Choice Awards 2018" Honorable Mention, Best Visual Art
- "VGM Wax 2019" Soundtrack of the Year
- "G.A.N.G. Awards 2019" Best Sound Design for an Indie Game
- "Bitsummit 2019" Official Selection
- "Bitsummit 2019" Nominee, Best of Show
- "Bitsummit 2019" Nominee, Excellence in Game Design
- "Bitsummit 2019" Nominee, Excellence in Sound Design
- "IGN Awards 2018" Nominee, Best Video Game Art & Graphics
- "National Academy of Video GAme Trade Reviewers" Nominee, Best Original Action Game
- "Below is a gorgeous, atmospheric dungeon crawler"
- T.J. Hafer, IGN
- "Below does me the service of giving away hardly any clues as to how to plays."
- Colin Campbell, Polygon
- "Below is a game that will keep calling you back. With its challenging gameplay loop, beautiful design and polished mechanics, it's a game that could easily become a classic of the genre over time."
- Rosh Kelly, wccf Tech
- "...everything that you achieve is the result of experimentation, luck and your ability to draw some logical conclusions about the world"
- BELOW Beginner's Guide, Polygon
Jim Guthrie, Composer
BELOW is scored by award-winning composer Jim Guthrie, and released over three volumes. These are available on Bandcamp and Steam jimguthrie.bandcamp.com.
About Capybara Games
Capybara Games is an award-winning, independent game development studio based in Toronto Canada. Known for their distinct style and keen eye for quality, CAPY's games include Grindstone, BELOW, Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Super Time Force Ultra, Critter Crunch, OK K.O.! Let's Play Heroes, and Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes.
More information on Capybara Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK BY:
The BELOW team
ADDITIONAL GAMEPLAY PROGRAMMING:
LEAD GRAPHICS PROGRAMMER:
ADDITIONAL GRAPHICS PROGRAMMING:
PROCEDURAL GENERATION PROGRAMMING:
Nicolas 'Qiqo' Stephan
Nicolas 'Qiqo' Stephan
Kevin 'Sonny' Demorris